September 5, 2021 Burlington, KS Sunday a.m
• Appreciation for something we do of significance for someone else
• Psalm 116:1-19
-Testimony of a grateful heart
-Grateful for God’s deliverance
▪ Death and the grave were near Vv. 3, 8
▪ What does he have to be thankful for?
• V. 1 The Lord heard me – Lord, save me! V. 4
• V. 5 The Lord is gracious, compassionate
• V. 6 The Lord saved me
• V. 8 The Lord rescued me
-A God who is righteous, holy, just, omnipotent but also that hears the heart-cry of fallen man
-What does he deserve from us? What response from us?
-V. 12 The question from the psalmist: How can I repay the Lord all the good He has done for
me? What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?
– Give the faith he deserves
-God deserves our trust, our faith (Psalm 116)
▪ Hebrews 11:6 without faith, impossible to please him
▪ Romans 4:19-21 Trust the Lord as Abraham
▪ To refuse to trust the promises of God is an insult – he fully deserves all our trust
• Give the love he deserves
-Matthew 22:37 No greater commandment!
-God demonstrated his love for us (Romans 5:8)
-Love is demonstrated in action.
• Give the obedience he deserves
– John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commandments
-Obedience because of love
• Give our bodies in service to the Lord
-In presenting our bodies to God, saying, “While I have strength, energy, eyesight, voice,
understanding – I give it all to you to use in service.”
-I hold nothing back.
-Psalm 92:13-15: Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.
-Continue to bear fruit for him who saved us.