August 29, 2021 Burlington, KS Sunday a.m.
· Fear affects everyone. Different for every person but we all have to deal with fear sometime.
Franklin Roosevelt inauguration in 1933: “This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself – nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.
All through scripture: Fear not!
Put your faith in God, overcome fear
§ Psalm 23:4
§ Psalm 118:6
· Psalm 27:1-14
Fear many things, a current reality for many people:
God wants to free us from bondage and agony of fear
§ 2 Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear…
§ 1 John 4:18 John’s discussion of God and love – perfect love drives out fear.
§ Fear is a thief of joy – No one can experience joy in the Lord if consumed by fear.
§ Fear robs us of achieving what God has put before us.
· Ephesians 2:10 God prepares us to do good works, fear of failure inhibits us.
· Jeremiah 29:11 God has plans for each of us. Fear inhibits us from accomplishing his plans
Faith drives out fear
§ V. 1 Faith that trusts God, NOW.
· Whom shall I fear?
· Psalm 118:6 What can man do to me?
· Matthew 10:28 Man can kill the body but it is God who holds the soul
§ Faith that conquers fear is the faith that trusts God because of yesterday
· V. 2 When evil doers came against me… Past tense.
· V. 9 You have been my help…
· God has been faithful (deserving of our trust) in the past; we can depend on him now
· Moses’ recitation of God’s work in Deuteronomy 8: God has done… trust God to do…
§ V. 3 Faith that conquers fear trusts God for tomorrow
· No matter what calamity comes my way in the future, I have determined to trust the Lord in all things
· V. 5 He will shelter me, he will hide me
· No fear in what tomorrow might bring – God is watching over us!
· Matthew 6:25-34 Worry = fear
· Fear inhibits worship
§ If fear drives our prayer life we no longer see God nor seek God for who he is.
· When you realize you are starting to worry about something, when fears start to creep in, immediately remember Psalm 27. Read it again. Make it your testimony. The Lord is my salvation, the stronghold of my life. Not a joking matter. Trust God.
· Roosevelt’s Four Freedoms speech to Congress January 6, 1941 “We look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech and expression – everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way – everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want…everywhere in the world. The fourth is freedom from fear…anywhere in the world.” THAT freedom from fear is found ONLY in Christ. Danger, calamity, disease, will continue as they have. Only in Christ can we find the full measure of freedom from fear.
· John Newton – Amazing Grace. Wrote the hymn: How Sweet The Name Of Jesus Sounds (Page 453) Verse 1: How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer’s ear! It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds, and drives away his fear.